Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Failed Plan

Well, two posts in one week…what a treat! How am I able to post at 11:00 a.m. on a weekday, you ask? It’s because I’m home with a sick child, of course…for the second day this week!

Anyway, this post is about change. Since my rediscovery of PR and discovery of SWAP my sewing became all about the plan. I changed my method and quantity of sewing based on these discoveries. Last year I spent some time planning out a wardrobe that would follow all the pieces of the pattern, just in a different color scheme. Loved the pattern, loved the fabric. Only two pieces were cut out before spring arrived and the plan was put on hold. Then more things changed. My sewing schedule changed as my school job improved. My interest in SWAP changed; too much structure. (One reason I was able to move away from SWAP was because the garments I constructed with a plan have provided me with a very large coordinating wardrobe. Ironic, yes?) Everytime I looked at the cut garments for the new wardrobe I just groaned and looked away. Plus, they were black. I’m so sick of black. Even when I looked at the pattern cover I couldn’t get excited. I started making plans to use different patterns for the uncut fabrics.

A long introduction to explain why I hate the jacket I just finished. (Watch the PR sidebar for a review to come soon.) Before I list all the things that bother me, let me say that I don’t plan on donating it just yet. The season's almost over, I let it marinate for awhile.
The style – I am not a big fan of ¾ sleeves. Don’t like the wide style of these anymore. It looks and feels very boxy to me.
The length – I didn’t think the jacket would be as short as it turned out. Mine cannot be worn with a belt without looking way too short.
The color – Sick. Of. Black. (The reality is I will be making more black clothes, the color was just another strike against this project.)
The construction – it went along well until the collar application (operator error). It’s not the worst I’ve ever done and with a different outlook I could have done better, but it got to the point where I just wanted it done and I didn’t care how it looked.
The fit - It's much more fitted than I expected. Of course I didn't make a muslin.



Construction Tidbits
I used Judy Barlup’s article “Get The Edge” from Threads #147 for the front edges.
I cut my own shaped sleeve heads. I had been cutting just a straight strip until I read this. The shaped ones have noticeably improved my sleeve caps.
I used the sleeve lining method where the lining is attached at the hem before attaching the sleeves. Then I used bias binding (should’ve used a wider one) to enclose the seams. (Results are yuk.)
I finally have learned how to sew a button with no visible knots!
I had to use my regular machine to sew the buttonholes. That darn vintage buttonholer ARGH! I have to use the cover plate since I can’t drop the feed dogs but then there’s hardly any room for the fabric. Suggestions anyone?

Happy Sewing!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Life and Some Sewing

In the past four weeks:

I did something to my back – 3 days of excruciating pain, 2 days of mild pain, recovery.
DD got sick (out two days)
I got sick (out one day)
DH got sick
DS got sick (out one day) – didn’t think it was strep but thought I should have him tested anyway since strep likes our family so much. After 2hrs 45 minutes at the “minute clinic” found out he couldn’t get the quick test because he’s had strep in the past 30 days. Have to have the 24hr test. By nighttime I’m convinced he’s okay and send him to school the next day only to get the results and find out he’s got strep. But I digress…
DS recovers
My back goes out again. I’ve been alternating between excruciating, bad, and maybe it’s going away over the past three days. Not happy. Hurts to type, hurts to sew, hurts to sleep, really hurts to drive, also hurts to stand. Yes, it’s been a great weekend.

In between all of this I’ve made two tops (Vogue 8616, the other is the same pattern in ivory) and a jacket that’s thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to completion.








Just the facing/hem intersection and buttonhole/buttons to go. At this point I just want to finish the jacket, which I hate by the way, so I can move on. (Look for at least one long post about the failure of the jacket!) I’m going to try one more time on that intersection; my instructions aren’t working tonight for some reason. Then I’ll be ready for another buttonholer rant. (There’s hardly any space to insert the fabric on my vintage machine without tearing into the fabric!!)

Gosh, that all sounds so negative - I'm really not unhappy :) It's almost spring for pete's sake! Hopefully the next post will be more about sewing. I got three vintage patterns in the mail this week. At least three of the four of us will (hopefully) be representing a different era for Easter!