A Different SWAP

Shopping Without A Plan.

The Results:

Two years ago I discovered sewing with a plan. I organized my stash, listed everything (patterns and fabrics), shopped with my list, and made garments that all coordinated but didn't necessarily look good together. The "outfits" were just a little off. Last fall I decided to stick to one or two color schemes, make what I liked and then backtrack to see if it fit into a SWAP. No lists just a few sketches as my guide. I don't really know if this worked as I only finished about 1/3 of the garments I had planned. This spring I've completely reverted to my old ways. The result so far has been one wader, and five days of coming home ready to sew but no production. I go to my sewing area and don't have any idea where to start. Today I scanned all my summer fabric so I could look at them all together (I was surprised how quick the process was). What I realized is that almost everything I have was purchased to make clothes for work...and work ends on Wednesday. And if you haven't figured it out already, well, just look at all those prints! Last night I made a pair of shorts, orange shorts. Yes, orange shorts! Sheesh.

Here's the current, um, "plan".


Your suggestions are welcome. Just remember, 1. I'm looking at spending the next three months in SAHM mode, 2. I've got to do some more sewing before I can buy any more fabric because I'm out of storage space.

Comments

Faye Lewis said…
Hey, everybody (including myself) knows that I'm no expert, but by looking at your plan it seems that you are short on tops compared to the number of separate bottoms on the list. Seems that you need more tops. Howbeit, this is only a suggestion.
goodworks1 said…
Do any of those fabrics coordinate with tops or bottoms that are already in your closet? You might especially look for items you have that aren't being worn much due to being 'orphans'.

If so, then sewing one piece that makes that an 'outfit' will give you a lot of return for a relatively small effort.

Or put two of your stash fabrics together and sew an 'outfit'...

I agree with Faye; I wonder if you have a lot of tops already in your wardrobe?
Dana said…
Yea, I have some solid t's that will work with some of the skirts. I just feel totally lost when trying to plan a casual summer wardrobe!
Salinda said…
I always struggle with a sewing orphans. I have found that if I will sew like this, I end up with a wardrobe: a top, a coordinating bottom, a top that goes with the bottom and so on...

Also, the wardrobe of a SAHM during the summer is not that glamerous! Think easy, breezy, and cool. If it's not washable, put it away to sew next year for work!

My suggestion: since you just finished orange shorts take one of your cottons and make a top that coordinates. Then make white capris, then your pink top, then a skirt. Voila-4 pieces 4 outfits already!

Another idea: Your blue and white stripe (I just made Simp 2593 and highly recommend it) would make a cute top paired with the orange shorts or with white capris or with the pale blue bottom-weight made into shorts! Would another of your cottons make a top to coordinate with all those bottoms?

Have fun sewing and planning. Good luck!
Sharon Sews said…
Hey! I shop that way too...and here I thought I could never participate in a SWAP. *LOL* I think orange shorts are a wonderful start to a summer wardrobe. Choose a coordinating print for a summer top. Then choose a bottom weight that will work with the print top you just made and sew shorts or capris (or pants if you live where I live ... its only in the 40s today and I do believe the calendar said June).
My "plan" is to sew so many garments that eventually everything will match with something. It's not the best method, but it works for me!
a little sewing said…
lol, enjoying this topic. At the moment I feel that Slapdash Sewist's answert is the most realistic (for me, anyway:)