Too Much

Time Ever been in a position where you’ve got so many things you want to do that you can’t figure out what to do first and then you end up doing nothing? Sometimes I solve this by making lists. Other times it's just too much. That’s where I am now. I think I’ve been here since school started! Maybe that would explain my lack of sewing. I have been sewing but at about half the rate I was doing last year. This does not make me happy. When I think about it, there are pockets of time here and there but when I sit down it’s all, Do I sew? Do I blog? Do I SWAP? Do I do school work? (Do I clean? never comes up ;)

Sewing Boo hoo me because I didn’t get my special Christmas Eve outfit done. Not even close. This doesn’t happen very often and I know it’s materialistic but… I did, manage to make 3 nightgowns, 2 pairs of flannel pj pants and 2 robes for my kids. All that in two days isn’t too bad.
Last weekend I finished one piece of my outfit and managed to write a review. I like it with the black but my vision was a complete winter-white outfit. (The blouse and the pants are cut.) After I wore this to school and heard more than one comment about my nice “lab coat” I decided that maybe the black wasn’t so great. I’ll try it again in ww when the pants are done (if they’re done before spring).
I have all these beautiful pieces of fabric purchased in the last two years. I know what I want to make, I just can’t seem to prioritize. And, I’ve run out of space; both in my sewing area and my closet!
Tonight I finished a pair of plain-old brown pants that I don’t even know when I started (maybe September?), and a plain-old black skirt that is left over from one of last year’s plans. I started to work on a really nice vintage vest that is already cut and will match several existing garments, but I just don’t feel like making it. sigh.

School I really love my job but it takes a lot of time, at least when I’m teaching what I want to teach the way I want to teach it, it does. That’s where I am right now. That means more work; more figuring out what is going to make them want to learn. Now there is another little concern. My district is “in danger of failing”. In an effort to fix this the CEO announced a Transformation Plan this week. I fully support anything that will help our students. And while I’m pretty sure I won’t lose my job, I’m once again in a position where I don’t know if I’ll be in the same school next year. I've been there before. I'm not afraid. It's just hard to build a band program when you're in a different building every two years.

Blog I can’t believe how few entries I’ve made this year. I was going to post something over my winter break and just watched the days on the calendar float by. One of the reasons I decided to write this entry is that I’ve realized the longer I don’t post anything the easier it is to not post anything. So forgive any typos and the lack of pictures or specific sewing details – I’m just trying to get back on that horse!
My blog is outdated. I used to have a job in a graphic arts department and was always aware of new programs and stuff. It bothers me that I can't keep up with it anymore. (I still don't quite get the whole follower thing. I'll let you know when I finally catch on.)



“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.” I love that. I’m going to remember that. It's silly and profound. (I don’t know if this is where it came from originally but I heard that tonight as the kids and I watched Kung Fu Panda.)

P.S. Check out this blog for some amazing pictures from the top of the world - well, really it's just Alaska. One of the authors is my cousin. The scenery pictures are amazing (see January of '09 for eagle pix, and Nov. '09 to see where the rainbow ends).

Comments

Gail said…
I know exactly how you are feeling. Do you you your word verification says "hatedo". How apt!
Sigrid said…
same feeling over here: too much! Trying to get the sewing mojo again. Think the outfit in winter white will be wonderful.
Anonymous said…
"No extra charge for awesomeness." I love that movie.
I figured everybody's brain frizzled out over the break, and am just coming back to see if you posted. I hope you got some rest, not just sitting around being frizzled.
k
Vicki said…
Join the club. I have so much to do, so much I want to do but can't seem to motivate myself to do anything. I even forget that I was going to do something...lol. Perhaps a list might help, but then I would have to remember to look at it. BTW, very nice "lab" coat.
Anonymous said…
Oh I'm going through the same exact thing, and I freeze. I think your white coat is lovely!
Meg said…
I hear ya about blogging. It's a commitment, right? And we've got a lot going on in our lives already.

I do love the "lab" coat.