Progress!

Just when I felt like I was in a sewing slump I turned around and realized I’d made four new garments!

First the black and white toile skirt from a TNT pattern (please note that it was 26 degrees when I wore this last Sunday, hence the turtleneck). I remembered to cut out the lining/underlining with the extra seam allowance this time so I could do thisand boy is that a great method! I will never ever (probably) do a regular lining on a skirt again! Amazing. The cotton decorator fabric hardly wrinkled at all and because I used Ambiance lining it didn’t bunch up when I walked. Plus, and probably most important – it was quick!

This is a fabulous Gorgeous Fabrics mod knit from OOP Vogue 9564, a pattern that I simply refuse to lose! Lol! Cut exactly like the pattern this time. I normally like to use facings for this sleeveless style but was inspired by this tutorial. I serged clear elastic then turned under and topstitched. It’s the first time I’ve tried this and I’m happy with the results.

Sadly, this one’s a wadder. I had my doubts after I finished it, but now that I see what these pictures look like… buh’ bye’! The zipper is coming out and I might try and turn the skirt into a little top, but the dress is a gonner. The lesson learned is – go with your instincts! I have yet to find a bias skirt that I feel comfortable wearing (meaning, that I think makes me look good), my LBP makes any type of raised waistline iffy, but there were so many cute dresses on PR with this pattern. I buckled under the peer pressure!
Lastly, is this garment on which I have almost no information! It’s a cotton Alexander Henry print from JoAnn’s (amazingly) but that’s about all I remember. LOL This is a leftover that I cut out last year. It was before my sewing chart and I seriously don’t know what patterns I used – I am sure that I used more than one, well, pretty sure. As far as sewing goes I’m thrilled that I finally finished a sleeveless garment using bias tape without any puckering at the underarm. Forgive me if this is too basic for some of you, but I’ve been trying to solve this problem for years and years and no matter what I get puckers at the deepest curve under the arm. Well, the solution that worked for me is: while I’m doing the first line of stitching to attach the binding, I make sure that the remainder of the tape lays flat against the garment. When I turn the binding to the inside for top stitching, voile! Smooth underarm. So simple.

Gotta go do some cutting, tomorrow’s my big sewing lounge excursion!

Comments

Tamara said…
The dress (black and white) and skirt look beautiful on you. The fit is fantastic. What a boost to finish so many garments that fit so well.
AllisonC said…
I love all your pieces, especially the black & white dress, and I also really want to thank you for pointing out Julie's tip on PR for lining, underlining and seam finishing in one.
Shannon said…
I really like all your new pieces - even the dress you say is to be a wadder.
Meg said…
I think your batting average is pretty good!
Dawn said…
Wow, I love that lining technique you used on the first skirt. It looks so clean and finished. I love that second dress too.
Alexandra said…
I really love the toile skirt and what a great job on the lining/underlining! And the black/white dress - great fabric, great pattern - can't go wrong here!
Initially, I didn't see anything wrong with the wadder dress but after comparison with the black/white dress, I see the wadder isn't nearly as flattering (though it's still a pretty dress).
Claire said…
I lover your newest creations and although I agree with you on bias dresses/skirts, I do think your dress looks pretty on you.

The toile skirt and knit dress are wonderful and fit you well.
Your new pieces are stunning! Sorry that the dress with the bias skirt didn't work out but you will look amazing in the other three pieces!
Linda L said…
You have been busy. I love your OOP Vogue Dress! very flattering. Love the fabric as well.