Just when I felt like I was in a sewing slump I turned around and realized I’d made four new garments!
First the black and white toile skirt from a TNT pattern (please note that it was 26 degrees when I wore this last Sunday, hence the turtleneck). I remembered to cut out the lining/underlining with the extra seam allowance this time so I could do this… and boy is that a great method! I will never ever (probably) do a regular lining on a skirt again! Amazing. The cotton decorator fabric hardly wrinkled at all and because I used Ambiance lining it didn’t bunch up when I walked. Plus, and probably most important – it was quick!
This is a fabulous Gorgeous Fabrics mod knit from OOP Vogue 9564, a pattern that I simply refuse to lose! Lol! Cut exactly like the pattern this time. I normally like to use facings for this sleeveless style but was inspired by this tutorial. I serged clear elastic then turned under and topstitched. It’s the first time I’ve tried this and I’m happy with the results.
Sadly, this one’s a wadder. I had my doubts after I finished it, but now that I see what these pictures look like… buh’ bye’! The zipper is coming out and I might try and turn the skirt into a little top, but the dress is a gonner. The lesson learned is – go with your instincts! I have yet to find a bias skirt that I feel comfortable wearing (meaning, that I think makes me look good), my LBP makes any type of raised waistline iffy, but there were so many cute dresses on PR with this pattern. I buckled under the peer pressure!
Lastly, is this garment on which I have almost no information! It’s a cotton Alexander Henry print from JoAnn’s (amazingly) but that’s about all I remember. LOL This is a leftover that I cut out last year. It was before my sewing chart and I seriously don’t know what patterns I used – I am sure that I used more than one, well, pretty sure. As far as sewing goes I’m thrilled that I finally finished a sleeveless garment using bias tape without any puckering at the underarm. Forgive me if this is too basic for some of you, but I’ve been trying to solve this problem for years and years and no matter what I get puckers at the deepest curve under the arm. Well, the solution that worked for me is: while I’m doing the first line of stitching to attach the binding, I make sure that the remainder of the tape lays flat against the garment. When I turn the binding to the inside for top stitching, voile! Smooth underarm. So simple.
Gotta go do some cutting, tomorrow’s my big sewing lounge excursion!