From the beginning, this suit was always intended to be used when I'm directing (currently, that would be H.S. band). I chose it for all the interest on the back since that's what most people will see during a concert. It took so long because everytime I looked at it all I could see was pleats, pleats, and more pleats! I finally cut it out last year and it was one of the key pieces that sat in pieces for an entire year. The fact I've done so many fast and easy garments lately, and have settled in to a comfortable sewing schedule gave me the energy to finally put it together.
You're going to have to be satisfied with headless shots and "silhouettes" for the pictures of me wearing it. (I'm still not feeling 100%.) Detail shots are on the dress form.
My original plan was to have the long version of the skirt, but I was missing my short black skirt earlier this fall and sacrificed this one. (I mean, I cut off the excess when I got ready to sew it up.) I think the longer version would be a little more flattering. Oh well, just another excuse to buy more fabric!
My button problem was that originally I didn't place the top button high enough. So I switched to smaller buttons (tacked the ends of my button wholes to shorten them), added a three more buttonholes (one above, and two in between the existing two). I'm still not perfectly satisfied with their placement, but it's better than it was.
Thought I'd try something new and put the pictures of my construction details in a photobucket slideshow. Tell me what you think.
I'm so relieved to have this jacket done. I'll let you know how it works in the near future.
Happy Thanksgiving-time sewing to all!