My Latest Plan For A Plan

Ugh. I hate it when I miss so much sewing/blogging/pattern-reviewing time. When I looked at my blog tonight I realized that I have four "drafts" that I started to write in the last six months but never finished them. Well, I'm is the oldest one and I posting it even though fall is almost over. Keep reading, there a  couple of pix at the end to prove that I have actually been able to complete a few projects.

At the time I started this post it seemed a realistic goal to have some of these pieces completed before May. Well, there hasn't been any spring sewing and thankfully (not really) the weather hasn't turned to spring yet either. Anyway, this is how I'm now going to start creating my SWAP's. I was inspired by my favorite wardrobe planning blog The Vivienne Files. I couldn't find the original post I remember about the Crazy 8 but if you look for it on her blog you will find loads of ideas and inspiration.
As I remember it, there is a blazer, a cardigan, two tops, one blouse, one pant, one skirt, one dress. I just scanned some basic pattern outlines to remind me what the pieces need to be added. When I'm ready to match it with the fabric, I'll pick a specific pattern to use. 

She suggests you purchase (gasp! - that's sew to you and me) an entire Crazy 8 in one solid color and another entire wardrobe in a coordinating solid color. Did you catch that word "solid"? Yes, a total of 16 pieces in solid colors. This is probably the biggest obstacle. I mean it makes sense, but I rarely go to a fabric store in search of 10 yards of the nicest tan fabrics I can find. There will be prints but they come in when you add pieces that coordinate with both solid colors.

Here's how I worked it out with my current stash and finished garments. My first solid color is royal blue. I've had all these beautiful coordinating blue fabrics for awhile, but had a complete roadblock when it came to figuring out what to make with them. For this board the solids are on the left and I only included the fabrics/garments I already have. (The smiley faces are the completed garments. The blue dress also needs a face. It was my Easter dress...completed the week after Easter...but in time for Mother's Day ;) On the right are the prints that will coordinate with the blue and other solids in my closet (black, gray, tan).
The second solid color is, well, I'm calling it gold. The jacket is the one that ended up with the backward sleeves that is still waiting to be fixed. The skirt I wear all the time! I love wearing it with a chambray shirt and boots :) The gray floral is on the sewing table this week, and just now (11/21/13) I'm thinking that metallic gold blouse just might work for Christmas.
I also have enough wool to create two more Crazy 8's in ivory and tan and, I have a workable Crazy 8 in my closet using gray and black. Gosh, when I write it down like this it sure seems like I've got an awful lot of clothes, doesn't it? Oh, well!  I'm thinking the ivory will be the starting point for my spring work wardrobe. Off to go plan and hopefully sew something up!

Projects without Posts :(
Vogue 1268
Top Simplicity 7967 (1980's?), Pants Burda...
New Look 6049 
Jacket McCall's 4596 (Old but not vintage)




Comments

I like this crazy 8 idea. With all the SWAP talk on some of the blogs, I've wanted to make one but I'm not in the mood to commit to 11 garments. I think I could do 8 though especially since I already own the other 8 pieces in several solid colors. But enough about me...*LOL* I love your new pieces! And honestly I'm just thrilled that you have time to sew. Thanks for sharing all of the garments with us!
Linda L said…
Your garments look great! Always like to see what you make.
L said…
Four drafts? I think my drafts are in double digits. =) Sometimes things happen that prevent us updating regularly.

Thank you for sharing the crazy 8 idea. I think I'll jump on board.
Nice job on your finished products! I especially like the zippered McCall coat--something about the print, the zipper, and the collar really works.
Dana said…
Thanks everybody!!! (Secretly thinking, yay, somebody still reads my blog ;))
Nancy said…
I really love your blog and wonder if you would consider adding the gadget that allows someone to subscribe via email? It makes it so much easier to follow a great blog when new posts come right to your inbox. Thanks.