My Sanctuary

Best sewing room EVER.



As soon as our family settled into this now century home (1914), the attic became My Sanctuary.
I didn't care that the previous owner's teenage daughter's had left their mark with holes in the walls and ceiling tiles, and handwritten memories ("this window is possessed") in a few select places. This room was beautiful and it was home to the kid's toys, the computer, and my sewing space.

Four years ago our family changed and the one member of the family that never enjoyed this space was gone. I was ready to leave the whole house and start over except for two things, Mr. X didn't want to sell before the split and my realtor said it wouldn't sell until the attic was presentable.


Last summer the attic was finally presentable. And so, our family has had one entire year to enjoy My Sanctuary as I always envisioned it. A great room for pizza and a movie on Friday nights, a great room for family game night, and a fantastic room for sewing.


Three weeks ago the house went on the market for four whole days before it sold. And two weeks later I purchased an equally unique but smaller (soon to be century) home. Our new house has three bedrooms for three people. There is no finished attic and no finished basement = no dedicated sewing area. Since this is the only criteria that the house didn't meet, I need to say goodbye to My Sanctuary.

While I am excited to move, this attic has been the best sewing area I've ever had. I'm going to miss more than anything else in this old house. Bittersweet.




Comments

Vicki said…
Before you know it there will be a spare bedroom. I lost my dedicated sewing space after a break up too. On one hand I am looking forward to my eldest leaving home so I have a room again but on the other I like having my kids with me. She is 24 so it will happen one day. You had a lovely space and some great memories to take with you.
Unknown said…
It's a meaningful house. But you will be better and settle down everything quickly in the new house.