Don't you just hate it when...

the plans fall through. If you’re a regular reader you’re probably looking for a description of my sewing lounge experience. Sorry to disappoint but they were closed! It’s just a small shop and it could have been something like a family emergency came up and the person that was supposed to open the shop couldn’t make it but… I was so bummed out! I mean, we had to arrange for a sitter and everything! I even left and came back a half hour later to see if I had the time wrong. Nope. Closed. And then, when I tried to email them, the message went through Outlook Express (please send me instructions if you know how to solve this problem, as it happens often) and when I hit “send” the screen says looking for POP3 and then said there was an error…something about yahoo…message didn’t go through. Argh.

I’ll probably try again next month. My main purpose in going was to try an industrial machine. Plus, this shop is very, very close to where I live and it would be great to share my love of sewing with actual real people! Can you relate? And now I'm finding myself spending valuable sewing time looking for a used industrial. I seriously I don't have the space, the money, and probably don't have the voltage to consider this but...

The good news is I made two garments this weekend. Here's a black pair of pants that actually fit! Wonder if it's because I actually broke down and made a muslin this time? Hmmmm. This is a cotton/lycra fabric (Sundance?) from Joann's using an almost vintage pattern from my stash. As I was working on the pattern I would remember little bits and pieces of the garments I made with it originally! Pretty funny.

The workmanship came second with this project, so go ahead and make note of the imperfections but I already know what they are! lol I serged the seams - didn't line them as I plan to wear them for the summer. One of the things I love about this pattern is that the front darts are released in the pockets (I think that's the way to describe it). It makes the high hip area very roomy and the pockets are designed to stand out a little. I wanted these to look a little dressier than jeans or a little more casual than dress pants. Which reminds me, does anyone know how the waistband topstitching is handled in RTW? IMO the waistband on these scream's home-made. Is it too wide, even though it matches the rest of the topstitching? Advice welcome.

Comments

Paula Gardner said…
I don't have any slacks so I can't compare, but I think the topstitching looks good. It is not screaming RTW to me at all. Not even whispering, actually.
Dawn said…
I was going to say the same as Paula. I think it looks nice.
Sorry the trip to the sewing lounge did not work out...hopefully you will get there soon! Good luck with finding an industrial!!!