Thou Wilt Sew a Welt

Of course now that I’m getting used to being home and all our celebrations are over (we also have an anniversary and birthday during the holidays), it’s time to go back to work!

So, I thought I’d end all the celebrations with a tutorial on welt pockets. I’ve noticed this is a 2009 goal for many fellow seamsters and I’ve wanted to do this since before I started blogging. Now that I’ve been around the www sewing scene for a while, I’ve seen a couple of tutorials (Kay Y, Adrianna ) that show basically the same/similar method so I didn’t feel it was necessary to do another one. But today I changed my mind! Not because I think it’s better than the others, but because 1. I haven’t seen anyone show it exactly this way, 2. when I used to use it (before my sewing draught) my pockets were consistently as perfect as I could ever hope, and 3. I haven’t made one for years and I needed to know if I still could. Here’s the teaser, just to make it interesting I decided to make the welts 1/8”.

At one point I timed myself and I could whip up one of these in 10 minutes. I used it on my “coat of many colors” for the pockets and (I think) for the bound buttonholes. I learned this method from a sewing colleague that learned it from a Palmer/Pletsch workshop over 12 years ago. The difference between this and the other methods is that it uses graph paper as a stitching guide. For this sample I used 1/8” graph paper which could also be used for ¼” welts. Hope this helps some of you overcome your welt fears – I know that’s what it did for me!

Welt Pocket Tutorial (Clicking on the word "main" will stop the slideshow and give you a chance to get a closer look at the pictures.)

Write more soon!

Comments

Shannon said…
That is a great looking welt pocket! Nice tutorial.
Summerset said…
Love that tutorial! The graph paper is a perfect solution. Thanks!
Dei said…
Thanks! Very helpful.
Tany said…
Your welt pocket is perfect! Thanks for the tutorial!!
Elaray said…
Thanks for the tutorial. I see the graph paper is necessary for thin welts.
KellysSewing said…
Thank you so much for sharing this! I can't wait to try it, I have only sewn a few welts and have never had consistent results!
Rachel said…
Thank you so much for that tutorial. I don't think there can be too many welt pocket tutorials. It is my goal this year to successfully do a welt pocket.
Linda L said…
Great looking welt. I liked the tutorial and the use of graph paper is very helpful idea to use.