Summer Postlude

Life is getting hectic again. I can feel it. One week left before school starts. Fingers are crossed for a good year...Oooops..sewing this is about sewing!

Here are two other pieces I made this summer. Nothing really exciting but they have gotten a lot of wear.

Pattern: Simplicity OOP 7588 view B. At first I thought this was a vintage possibly 60's-70's but when I looked on the envelope...1997. Nothing special. Just another "old" pattern. ;)

Fabric: Anna Maria Horner Little Folks Voile Diamond Mine purchased at Stitch Cleveland (they happen to be on call for the filming of "I, Alex Cross" currently filming in Cleveland and their latest facebook post said they were working with Tyler Perry's personal tailor - WOW).

Fitting Adjustments: FB adj. and added width to sleeve.

Construction notes: I did two things differently for this blouse. I used organza for interfacing and attached it by sewing it to the right side of the outer edge of the facing first. Then, turned it to enclose the seam allowance before attaching it to the front.

Also, followed this tutorial from Pattern Scissors Cloth. Mine doesn't look nearly as good as hers or I would have shown you a picture, but it was good practice!
App. Prep time: 45 min.

App. Sewing time: 3 hours

Miss Alaney: I love this blouse. Mostly because I'm sick to death of fitted T's which is ironic because for the past several summers I've been searching for the perfect T. This summer I realized I've acquired more than one wearable t-shirt in all of my favorite colors and I don't want to wear them. I wear them but I don't want to. What I really want is a nice light cotton blouse...just like this one!

Goes with: I first wore it with my white pants and it was okay. But later found I loved it with my jeans skort and my tan shorts.

Pattern: Simplicity 2451 view D

Fabric: Joann's cotton sateen.

Fitting Adjustments: Hips are one size larger than waist ;)

Construction notes: Once again I used the underlining/hong kong finish to line the skirt.

App. Prep time: 45 min.

App. Sewing time:
2.5 hours

Goes with: I loved it with this T and new "el cheapo" necklace of many colors.

I really like this skirt but I think it’s the fabric that makes it. The reason I’ll continue to wear it is that the print really hides those two pleats in the front that pouf out. I won’t be holding on to this pattern. I think it was those pockets that drew me to it in the first place and now that I’ve made it…well, eh, no need to make it again.

  • In completely unrelated news…my X’s now X girlfriend has sent me a few messages…kind of like she wants to be friends…because he wronged her too and, get this, my kids might miss her ?????? I don’t think that will happen, I mean us becoming friends - well, my kids missing her either. Oooops…sewing, this is about sewing!
  • I’m going to try really hard to finish 2-3 sewing projects this weekend but I’m soooo ready to cut out some wool! Oh, I almost forgot… It’s been ages since I ordered fabric online but when Fabric Mart had their trendy challis marked down to $2.50/yd I couldn’t help myself. This is what I had to have. (The pictures are pretty bad - sorry, I was in a hurry!)

  • Jeepers, I’ve done a ton of yard work this summer. Tonight was the first night that the mosquitoes got me – I got 12 altogether and a giant one on my forehead – yikes.
  • Oh, and also, I fell off my bike!! You should not ever fall off your bike when you are past a certain age. I'm not going to say what that age is, but I've passed it!! I must be okay though because I was able to ride my bike home and transplant a small lilac bush the next day ;)
  • Oh yea... I lost my logo!! Anyone seen it? I tried to "update" my blog format and accidentally deleted my blog heading picture. Sad face :(  Some other silhouettes are auditioning for the part but I haven't picked a winner yet.
  • Have a great, creative, enjoy-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-summer weekend!

Comments

Gail said…
Love the floral skirt. So bright and fresh with the pink t-shirt. Could take it through to Autumn with a white blouse and cardigan.
SEWN said…
Your shirt and skirt are beautiful. Perfect summer wear. I hope you're recovered from your fall.