Sharing

Just wanted to share a few words from an article I came across recently.

Title: Is Morality “Normal”?

It is a common saying that we live in a time of moral crisis. When, however, one seeks an explanation, one usually gets only descriptions of symptoms, such as that the crime rate is shockingly high, especially among juveniles; personal and social disciplines are lax; marriage and family life are unstable;…values are almost exclusively materialistic; the religious instinct is largely moribund….




So are the thoughts of Dorothy Thompson in the Ladies Home Journal 1958!

The teacher side of me can see at least one lesson plan from this part of the article alone. Okay, I’m a music teacher and will never use this as a lesson. However, I can see parts of the article posted in my classroom! The article has some more great observations like, “The stability of marriage, they say, was essential to the very survival of women in a world where lucrative occupations were closed to them and in a time when they could not legally own property.” and “What strikes one in the modern world, and despite its many organized charities, is precisely the lack of sympathy or spontaneous aid by anyone for anybody else. A young person almost never offers his seat in a public conveyance, even to an old woman or a mother carrying a baby in her arms.” Hmmmm, doesn’t that make you think?!

Okay, now the real reason I even have this magazine. Clothes! I picked up this magazine at a local vintage shop a couple of years ago (before PR) for the cool pictures. I still don’t know what I’m going to do with it but couldn’t believe my eyes when I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Feast your eyes on this:



Although it sounds like Chanel designed these just for LHJ, somewhere it refers to them being part of her current collection.



















Next current (1958) RTW that won't break the bank!





And now the patterns! All by Vogue.















Happy sewing!



P.S. I've been sick with some upper respitory bug this week. Told my family I only have enough energy to sit at the sewing machine or the computer. That's why I'm actually posting more than once a week, lol!

Darcie, I'm not the best source when it comes to advice about sewing machines but here goes:
1. If you haven't already, check out the Sewing Machine Reviews at PatternReview.com.
2. Don't buy any of the machines from Walmart (from what I understand they negotiate with the manufacturers for a lesser quality machine that they can sell for less).
3. If possible, sew on the machine first.
4. Identify how you'll be using the machine and what functions you must have. For me, the absolute must-haves are the needle-down option and a one-step buttonhole.

(Maybe I'm good at giving advice, just not good at following it! My current 4-yr-old machine has a crummy, inconsistent one-step buttonhole. Hence, the need for this.)

Comments