Saturday, January 8, 2011

Garment In-A-Day!

I made a complete pair of pants (closure and hem included) in one day!! Okay, the fabric, interfacing, and lining were already cut out but all of the sewing was done in one day. Great way to start the new year! Equally exciting is the fact that they fit!! I only wish I could share all the fitting details with you.
See, I cut them out so long ago I don't remember what I did to make sure they fit. I think I took a previously good-fitting pattern and just adjusted the pattern in the hips and crotch area to fit. Wait, it's coming back to me...it was the pink-linen-who-over-the-age-of-10-needs-pink-pants?-borderline-vintage-pattern pants that I never wore but did in fact make this summer. They fit sooooo well! (One of my problems with spring/summer sewing is that I like to sew work clothes. But I'm a teacher and in the summertime I don't need a work wardrobe. More on this dilemma when the seasons change.)

Here there are: Vogue 1035 Alice + Olivia (OOP)
Please excuse the wrinkles. Pictures were taken after wearing them all morning and I realized too late I should have sewn the lining as underlining both to prevent wrinkles and to stabilize this lightweight wool.

I'm going to break down and show you some of the details with this disclosure: I am not a perfectionist. I strive to be one, but it will never happen because when I get tired most of the time, I just let it go. If it looks good on the outside that's fine with me.
And I try really, really hard not to just point out all the bad stuff. But I will point out the most obvious one. The welt pockets in the back are a whopping 1" out of alignment with each other.
I have no idea how this happened. I didn't even check it while I was making them because I had marked them very carefully. Since I don't run into fellow seamsters in my daily life, I chose not to let it go. (If it's really obvious one of my students will point it out!)

I've worn them twice and am happy to report that the students did not point to the welt pockets and laugh. (I did hear mumblings about the floral RTW top I wore with them though.) I think I may have changed the shape of the legs. They look kind of bell-shaped and I don't really like the way it looks. I may try to change it but I don't think they'll be in my closet for the long run. Hmmmm, we'll see. They're okay. They're comfortable. But......we'll see.

**The welt pockets were sewn with a method that I learned second-hand from Palmer/Pletsch. Awhile ago a made a tutorial for the method that you can see at the end of this post.

It felt so good to actually sew something again!! Schedules at my house are completely different this year so I'm going to try making at least one garment each weekend that I'm kid-free. If needed, I think I can get the fitting, cutting, interfacing done before my actual sewing day. The following week my goal will be to post it. Woohoo, another plan! My next project is already on the table. I'm not at all concerned that an entire week has gone by and it isn't cut out yet.

Thanks for all the compliments and comments for my previous posts and thanks for the continued sewing support!

2 comments:

Gail said...

Fabulous pants - I'm amazed that you could complete them in a day.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Wow, lined pants in a day! That is an accomplishment. They are a nice looking pant, very current and professional.